Monday 31 October 2011

Box Costume



My Lego Boys
Just a box and some plastic containers.

I learned my lesson with Liam's box costume last year. We ended up having to walk on either side of Liam, each holding up one side of the box by the arm hole so that he could walk without stunted steps. This year we made Liam's shorter and Elias' longer from front to back, they were both able to walk though stairs were still difficult.
Elias was a trooper. He lasted much longer than Liam did at that age. When he was too tired to walk he rode in the stroller, slouched down in the box so far that you couldn't see his head, just arms and legs sticking out of the lego block. He would look out the arm hole and wave as we walked away from each house. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture.

Inspecting the loot.

Candy is a serious luxury in our house. They just kept stuffing it in as fast as they could,  knowing that eventually we'd put it away and that would be the end of it. Jess and I weren't much better. 
Yoink!


How its made:
Start with a box approximately the same width as the kids shoulders. Cut the bottom off, and cut holes for the head and arms. Use masking tape around the raw edges to soften them. Glue on some plastic containers. I left the lids on them and used some Alex Plus to glue the lid onto the box. Spray paint the whole thing. 
For the lego head buckets I used a spray paint for the yellow and a craft paint for the black. The spray paint scratched off even though it was a plastic paint. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use a craft paint for the yellow too. 
Alex Plus passed the test when Liam took a tumble and the containers stayed attatched. I was impressed.



Last Year's Costumes

No comments:

Post a Comment